History of Carver CenterThe Port Chester Carver Center has been serving the community’s children and families since 1943. It started as a small storefront after school program for children whose parents worked in wartime defense plants. The founders were African American parents—grassroots organizers and advocates for the minority community in Port Chester. They named the organization after the renowned African American scientist George Washington Carver, who passed away in 1943. The Carver Center grew to a small food pantry and child care program that operated out of a rented synagogue basement for over 50 years.
Today, Carver Center occupies a 50,000 square foot building in Port Chester, and serves thousands of community members. The Center's annual budget is $2,400,000. Approximately 70% of the budget is raised through contributions from individuals, corporate and foundation grants, and the Annual Benefit. Just over 10% comes from government funding. The balance of the budget is raised through modest program fees and revenue from the fitness center and pool.